Why Hemp Seeds Are Often Called a Superfood?
Hemp seeds are harvested from a specific 0% THC strain of the Cannabis Sativa L. plant also known as industrial hemp. Its nutritious seeds can be consumed and can provide numerous health benefits. Here are some of the many health benefits of this versatile superfood:
- Weight loss – Hemp is an excellent source of food to aid in weight loss. It can prevent you from overeating, as the high fibre content fills you up making you feel satisfied for longer. In addition, the high fat and protein content is slow digesting and will aid in satiety (feeling full) as well as lower your glycemic index which in turn will boost your digestion and ultimately your metabolism.
- Normalize blood sugar levels – For issues with blood sugar, hemp can work wonders at regulating your sugar levels. You can thank the rich essential fatty acids content in hemp, which consists of the perfect 3:1 ratio of Omega 6 to 3 for your body.
- Improved immune health – Hemp is also known for its immune-boosting abilities, which is again attributed to its essential fatty acids levels (omega 3-6-9) in addition to linoleic acid as well as the high levels of phytonutrients it contains. You can attain these immune boosting benefits by eating hemp food products with the highest fat concentration such as hulled hemp seeds (hearts) or hemp seed oil.
- Enhanced brain health – How can hemp food enhance brain health? Due to the high levels of essential fatty acids, hemp can improve memory, mental clarity, and it has even been proven to effectively improve the brain health of people suffering from Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s (based on online published studies). A decrease in depression has also been linked to diets high in essential fatty acids.
- Improved cholesterol levels – Hemp contains large amounts of phytosterols, which naturally exist in plants. Phytosterols resemble cholesterol and have been well researched and documented to dramatically lower “bad” HDL cholesterol in the body.
- High protein – If you need to increase the protein in your diet, then hemp is an excellent choice, especially if you are looking for a vegetarian or vegan protein source. With 50 % – 75% more protein than flax and chia seeds, hemp is a better and healthier choice when talking whole protein foods. Hemp protein is also a complete protein that contains all 9 essential amino acids and 2 semi-essential amino acids, making it win over many vegan protein alternatives such as pea or rice protein and highly comparable to meat, fish and eggs. Did you know that hemp seeds have a higher overall digestibility than soy or rice at 90% compared to soy at 78% and rice at 76%? In addition to the protein in hemp seed being highly digestible, they are also made up of the best kind of protein which are the closest to the type of protein found in human blood: Edestin. The remaining protein making up hemp seed protein is Albumin, a high quality globulin protein similar to that found in egg whites and the one that give eggs all their protein glory. Knowing this, isn’t it easy to make hemp food your ultimate protein choice!
How can you incorporate hemp food into your own diet?
It’s easy to incorporate hemp into your diet. You could add the seeds in your daily smoothies. You could also add hemp seed oil to your smoothies in addition to or instead of the seeds. Sprinkling hulled hemp seeds (hearts) or whole hemp seeds in your hot or cold cereal, your yogurt, or even your pudding are good ideas as well. Hemp has a pleasant and nutty-like flavour, sometimes compared to pine nuts or sunflower seeds. The texture of shelled hemp seeds is similar to crushed walnuts, so you don’t have to be worried about it tasting weird or feeling strange in your mouth. If you like most nuts then you will likely enjoy hemp seeds and hemp seed oil too.
Where to purchase and get more information about hemp seeds:
Our online source for all your hemp food needs is www.chii.ca. We offer a wide range of top quality hemp food products in organic and natural/conventional as well as bulk sizes. We offer shipping anywhere within Canada and the US, including free and flat rate shipping options.
As you may be aware, you can’t find hemp food products as easily as you can find flax or chia seeds. However, many fine grocery stores and health food stores do carry hemp food products but perhaps not at the bulk sizing, pricing or quality and variety you are looking for. This is where we can help as we specialize in bulk size hemp food products for the everyday healthy hemp enthusiast.
As you can see, there are many reasons why hemp is referred to as a superfood. With its numerous health benefits and nutritional value, it is far superior to many other foods that you may have believed were just as healthy. So if you’re looking for a new superfood to add to your diet, then you can rest assured that hemp is an excellent well balance choice.